On Saturday 4 Feb, we opened our NY office to host the awesome Silicon Alley developer community at API Hackday NYC. What a day it was. The office was buzzing with hacker energy all day. We were spellbound and humbled by the turnout and the number of hacks that were produced in 8 hours.
What is API Hackday
If you haven’t heard of API Hackday - it’s an event that brings developers together for an all-day coding fest focused on building apps with APIs. Developers of all experience levels can share ideas, collaborate on projects, start new ventures and discover great tools and new APIs to play with.
API Hackday NYC in numbers
- About 70 attendees.
- 22 Hacks (Thank you to our friends at Hacker League for helping us manage the hacks)
- 10 API Providers
- 3hacks powered by Mashery APIs -
- Doors opened at 8. Closed at 8. 12 hours of awesomeness.
- 11 Prizes worth over $2000
- 200 Kati rolls consumed - Kati rolls for lunch were a huge hit. A big Thank You to Kati Roll Company for making our developers happy.
- 12 Pizzas gobbled
- 100 Beer bottles gulped
- 110 Bagels
- 120 Cups of Coffee
You can check out the complete list of hacks built here
Best hack built using Mashery’s API Network
Something Magical - A web app that uses Fanfeedr’s API to subscribe to current games and then uses Twilio’s API to get updates via SMS.
Grand Prize Winners
- First Prize: Spotify Water Cooler by Haris Amin - a serial hackathon participant
- Second Prize: Bite Control by Marianne Bellotti - Built using BodyMedia - a Mashery powered API
- Third Prize: Meetup Live by David Yang
API Hackday in Pictures here
Meet I/O Doctor
One hack that stood out for me was I/O Doctor by Brandon West from SendGrid (who use I/O docs to power their documentation). I/O Doctor provides a UI to create & edit the JSON schema based files used by I/O Docs to define API endpoints, methods and parameters. So I/O Docs users don’t have to manually maintain the JSON files anymore. A really slick and useful hack.
The awesome NYC Community
It was so great to see some of the best hackers in NYC & API Devangels come together and spend their entire Saturday hacking and/or helping people hack. Am looking in your direction - Akshay, Andrew, Brandon, Jeff, Rob, John, Kortina, Kathryn, Felix & David.
It was an absolute honor to host API Hackday NYC at Mashery. A HUGE shout out to our awesome API friends - Context.IO, Facebook, Foursquare, Meetup, Ordr.in, SendGrid, Spotify, Tumblr, Twilio & Venmo for their support and presence at API Hackday NYC. Couldn’t have done without you all. Thank you guys!
Needless to say, it was a great experience. So gratifying to have people come over and express the amount of fun they had at the hackday and the fact that they look forward to more hackathons at Mashery NYC office. Thank you all - we look forward to it too! Leave you here with a few tweets in the mean time…
- We had an awesome time at #APIHackDay NYC! Thanks so much to @Mashery and all the participating APIs and hackers!
- for over a year I ‘ve been doing every hackathon in NYC in the hopes of winning an I pad, I guess I can finally rest now #apihackday :-)
- Thanks to @apihackday and @mashery for throwing a fun NYC #apihackday. They should have these every weekend. :D
- Thanks @mashery for hosting #apihackday. And thanks to the hackers who came out a did so many cool projects with @ordrin and node!
- Great day at #apihackday (promise this will be my last tweet about it). Great treat to hack with @KarneAsada, @outram & @hannahrobinett.
- I/O Doctor looks amazing for mashery’s iodocs users. Very cool. #apihackday from the @sendgrid rep!
- Lunch at #APIHackDay = YUMMY. Thanks @mashery!
- Nice turnout #apihackday pic.twitter.com/droH28h1
- The buzz at #apihackday has settled in to the steady clicky clack of problems being solved with code.
- @Mashery This place is awesome! :D #apihackday
Thank You Jason P. for the pics.